Lymphatic massage which is also known as manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) can relieve the tight, heavy feeling of swelling after a facelift, tummy tuck, liposuction, breast reconstruction, BBL, and etc. With lymphatic massage / MLD as part of your tool kit, this will help reduce your swelling and shorten your post surgical recovery time and get you back
to normal, much sooner.
How can I get the most out of lymphatic massage?
If possible, please book in for two or three treatments, prior to your surgery as this will help your body and lymphatic system to be prepared for the post surgical recovery lymphatic massage treatments. This will help you to be more relaxed since it provides very gentle pressure.
Recommendations for you
- Plan and book in your lymphatic massage treatments as soon as possible after your surgery to get the best benefits
- Budget for one to two x 60 minute treatments a week for around four to six weeks as a general guideline. We can still work with a single treatment weekly, but two will allow for speedier recovery.
- Follow all your surgeon’s post surgical care instructions!
- Plan for your support and recovery process. Surgery is serious, and you will need a good support system to help you recover.
Outcomes of the Lymphatic Treatments:
Many clients feel less tight and heavy with the swelling reduction due to the lymphatic stimulation.
● Clients also feel less stressed and more relaxed after their treatment due to the
relaxation response of the lymphatic sequences
● With the lymphatic treatments, we are reducing the risk of fibrosis (thickening)
around the scar and affected surgery area
● You will have a smooth, even result
● Anaesthetics are evacuated from the system more quickly
● The inflammatory phase of recovery is sped up significantly
● Wound healing is accelerated
● Scar tissue is laid down evenly (less pressure on the incision sight as a result of lymphatic work)
● Patients can return to their daily lives much sooner
What is a post surgical lymphatic treatment?
A Lymphatic Massage aka Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is a very gentle and rhythmical sequence. There is no “squeezing” out of the lymph. It is a hands-on treatment and you will be placed in a supported position on the massage table so you can relax and enjoy the treatment. Your treatment starts with boosting full body lymphatic flow. Very gentle massage strokes (the amount of pressure is about the weight of a nickel on your skin) are used in the swollen area to encourage lymphatic flow and reduce swelling. Strokes re-route lymphatic flow away from lymph nodes and vessels affected by the surgery.
Often the stomach is treated as this will help clear out that post surgical constipation.
If you can’t lie on your back you may be put in a supported side-lying position or popped on to a chair for some of your treatment. For your comfort, I have an ADA compliant massage table which will allow you to be slightly elevated.
Note: No oil or lotion is used and hands are with a light pressure in the direction of the
If you have any questions on this type of massage, please feel free to reach out to me. Also, this type of massage is fantastic for detox as well. It really depends on what your goals are.